eShop - Shipping based on postcode
This article applies to the Magicdust eShop 1.0. Click here for articles relating to Magicdust eShop 2.0.
Though the cart only accepts shipping up to a state level, sometimes it beneficial to ship using smaller regions, such as differentiating between regional and metro in a state, or sending within a group of postcodes. It is possible to "trick" the cart into doing this by setting up some extra states within a country.This tutorial assumes you are already comfortable with setting up custom shipping methods. If you require instructions on this, please click here We will use an example for simplicity's sake, but this can be applied to numerous scenarios. In our example, a company wants to ship to two different zones within NSW - regional and metro, and will have different shipping rates applying to these two zones. To set this up, you will first need to set up the additional states, and then apply shipping methods to them.
- Click on cart settings and then global cart settings:
- Click on country listing settings
- Open up the country to which you want to add the extra states by clicking the circular icon on the right.
- Add the extra regions or postcodes you require.
- Click on cart settings and then shipping management
- Click on custom methods and add a new method
- When adding a new method, specifically select the new state you created.
- Click add method and fill out the appropriate shipping prices.
It is now time to apply shipping methods to the new states you've created.
You may require more postcodes than just a regional and metro area zone. You can, theoretically, set up each individual postcode for every state if required, though this would be a very time consuming and tedious task. A work around would be to group postcodes. For example you could select from postcodes 2000-2100, then 2101-2200 and so on.
If you have any questions or need further assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org